It's helpful to complete a period of work experience during your degree in order to apply your new-found practical knowledge, develop new skills, and gain valuable experience in a work environment.

Your first port of call should be your chemical engineering department’s student liaison officer or careers adviser. Many universities have links with local industry and may be able to help you to secure a work placement.

Alternatively if your university can’t help, contact one of IChemE's accredited company training scheme (ACTS) companies. These companies are committed to ensuring that their staff receive the training they need, and also recruit hundreds of graduates each year between them; they may be able to help.

Visit for an up-to-date list of accredited schemes.

My IChemE